Safety & Disclaimers


  • Never leave an open flame unattended and always supervise pets and children while burning a candle. 
  • Do not ingest. If ingested, contact your physician or poison control center immediately.
  • Only burn on a level, heatproof surface away from drafts 
  • Do not light candles for longer than 3 hours.
  • Safe candle burning time varies depending on the size of the candle. Smaller candles need to be burned for shorter periods of time. 
  • If you see a round, black end to your wick or excessively high flames, extinguish your candle and let cool before trimming the wick and relighting. 
  • Do not relight candles until the wax is completely cooled and solid to the touch.
  • Remove any large stones or dried botanicals before burning. Small crystal chips and dried botanicals may be left in the candle while burning, or removed prior. Watch the initial burn of any candles with dried botanicals as they may be flammable, but small pieces should not increase flame height. 
  • Soy wax has a melting point of around 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Please keep this in mind when ordering during very hot weather, as melted candles will not be refunded. If you receive a partially melted candle, simply set upright and let cool before using. You can place your candle on a flat surface (DO NOT HOLD IT) and use a hairdryer on low to even out wax if needed.


  • Candles made with essential oils are generally not going to be as strongly scented as artificially fragranced candles. The subtler scents lessen irritation while still leaving a pleasant aroma around. 
  • To best maintain the aroma of scented candles, store them with the lid securely on or in an airtight container.
  • For the first burn, it’s recommended to burn until the top layer of wax has completely melted to prevent tunneling. Wax has a “memory,” so it’s crucial to burn evenly for the first time. 
  • Trim your wicks between burns to ¼” to maintain an even wax level
  • If a candle has tunneled, you can use a hairdryer on low to gently melt the top of the candle to even it out. DO NOT HOLD THE CANDLE while doing this because you can splash hot wax on yourself! Melting a candle on a flat, heatproof surface when using this method will be safer and provide better results. 
  • If your candle has tunneled badly, you can also try wrapping a piece of aluminum foil around your candle, leaving a hole in the middle over the flame. Do not fully cover the candle as it will extinguish itself from a lack of oxygen. This method works by keeping more of the heat inside the candle to help it melt wax left on the sides of your vessel. We prefer to use the hairdryer method whenever possible as it’s faster, but if that hasn’t worked out, try this!


  • All products are made in a home kitchen and the waxes, oils, butters, and other substances used in these products may become cross-contaminated.
  • All products are made in a home where cats are present and therefore may be cross-contaminated with cat dander in the air and other surfaces. This contamination is likely minimal, but those with severe cat allergies should still consider this before purchasing.
  • Products are shipped in clean, upcycled (used) packaging, and therefore may also be at risk for containing allergens.
  • If you have any questions or concerns regarding your allergies and our products, please message us at We want everyone to be able to love our products, so let us know what we can do to make shopping at Tortoiseshell Apothecary a safe experience for you!


  • All room sprays are skin and fabric safe. Spray away from your face and avoid contact with eyes.
  • Do not ingest.
  • It’s best to spot-test if you intend to use this product on fabrics in case of possible staining.
  • Keep away from heat and open flames.
  • Keep away from children and pets. 


  • None of the following products are intended to treat, cure, or alleviate the symptoms of any disease, illness, or injury. Please consult your primary care provider before using this product.
  • Do not ingest any body care products. Most ingredients are nontoxic, but are still not meant to be consumed. Contact your physician or poison control center if body care products are accidentally ingested.